Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Sorrow and Love

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit – Matthew 28:19

Today I am beginning a study of the book of 1 Samuel, as I have just finished studying Matthew. With the intention of reading all four gospels, I could have been well educated on the ministry of Jesus. Yet the past few weeks, I have felt called to study Samuel after teaching a couple lessons in youth group from the book of 1 Samuel. I have been learning so much from the word of God these past four months, and God has brought me through the sorrow of my past and, until recently, I was unable to see the magnitude of His love for me.

My scripture reference from today is known as the Great Commission, given by the resurrected Christ to the remaining eleven disciples, in Galilee. It took me some time to finally get to this point, yet God has worked so much in my life following the sorrow brought on by my past. I could explain things, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I want this to be less about my personal life than about ministry.
The sorrow I had was mainly from broken relationships, and unfulfilled promises. However while reading the gospel of Matthew, I simultaneously began to see the Lord working in my life and was able to be more willing to carry out God's will for my life. When we rely too much on other people for fulfillment of life, we will always be disappointed. Yet, when we begin to trust in God alone, we can begin to understand (and experience) the love that he has for us.

The passage I read today was 1 Samuel 1:1-7; setting the scene for the development of Hannah's faith through trials. Here is the main point: when God allows trials in our life, it is not because he wants us to suffer, rather he wants us to lean on him and be joyful for the work he is doing (James 1:2). When we begin to look to him, instead of our sorrow for comfort, we can finally start to see the work that the Holy Spirit is doing in our lives. Our sorrow can finally be turned to joy, and the living water (John 4:10) will begin to pour out of us... God has recently blessed me with new situations in my life, and I can only credit His love and the trials he allows me to experience for the blessings.

If you happen to be struggling in a situation today, or this week, ask God what he wants you to see in that, and to open your heart to the things you need to change. After all, when we experience discomfort in life, it is not because of the imperfections of Christ's love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment