April is the month in which we celebrate Easter, the holiday representing spring and, in the Christian faith, the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Now, when we accept Jesus into our lives, we are offered a new start in our life. In that life after acceptance into salvation, we are offered a choice; one to continue to follow our old habits, or one to follow the new path of Christ. In the recent months, I have realized that the more I lean toward God, the more I need him to support me. This analogy just came to mind: imagine that you are a ladder and God is a house. The House does not move, but the ladder can. The further you pull a ladder away from the house you are working on, the harder it is to be in the right place to complete the work. Now, we don't need to work on God, but we do need God to do His work.
In order to do God's work, we must lean on Him to learn where he wants us to work. My theme for the majority of this journal has been my search for God's calling in my life, concluding that God wants me to serve Him and lead others by His example. Someone once told me that in order to lead, you have to serve. As a "teacher" of a youth group and a grocery store supervisor, I have the responsibility of serving the kids I teach and the people I supervise, by showing them the example of Christ. Although we are not perfect, a Godly leader is defined by their character. What you teach must align with how you live.
There have been a few times in my life when I am moved by my own feelings and act out of compulsion. I make irrational decisions and do not always follow the example that I expect those whom I lead to follow. Whether at work or at church, I have realized that in order to lead, I must teach by God's example, which is Christ. My compulsion must be turned into compassion. Though compassion may not be the ultimate word to describe how a Christian should live (that might be "love"), it is relevant to recent situations in which I have been faced with decisions for groups, and for individuals, affecting the result of that situation for more than myself.
Acting on compulsion can lead to a choice made out of anger, or vexation, toward someone, or something. Whereas acting on compassion can lead to a choice made out of love, or concern, for that same someone, or something.
This entry was inspired by 2 Corinthians 9:7. The context refers to giving an offering to church, however the message still stands: you cannot effectively serve God under compulsion. May all the glory be to the Father of compassion, whom I choose to serve.
No comments:
Post a Comment