Friday, July 27, 2018

Division and Confidence

I have been leading a youth group in a study on the movie "War Room", and we are now coming to a close on this study. The last lesson will be on Sunday. There is a verse that the last lesson refers to in the book of Hebrews, chapter four, that I felt was really powerful to read. Verse 12 starts "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit..." (ESV), showing the reader that God will separate the good from the bad in you and look at both. If you read the rest of 12, and verse 13, this makes more sense.

I have been learning a lot lately that I am failing at being an example of Christ not only to the people I care about but also to the youth group at my church (I care about them too). This verse convicts me by further proving that God will look at both sides of our life as a Christian. It has been on my heart to move forward in life, but recent months have shown me that I am not ready. I am keeping things general here for a reason. My personal struggles are not what I want to discuss, but rather that God has to be the first focus of your life before he can bring you where he wants you. He is the only one who can discern the true condition of our heart, and change us in the areas we need, so why not look toward him to be changed? We cannot make those changes on our own, otherwise there would be no point to the Holy Spirit. That being said, verse 16 of chapter four tells us to approach the throne with confidence. We must accept that we are wrong, and that God is the only one who can change us, in order to be the example that puts Christ first.

I have come to understand that there is division in me, but I have yet to find the confidence in Christ that God needs for me to fully be his servant. I have done a lot of studying since April, which has brought me to this point but, my "faith journey" as some call it, is only just beginning. God wants us to not be divided, to not be "lukewarm" as the Bible (Rev. 3:16 and the "War Room") discusses, so that we may serve him in all that we do. With division, there can be no confidence in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment